Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a portrait and wedding photographer based out of Madison, Wisconsin. Here you will find my latest work and what I've been up to. Please feel free to browse and comment!

For more information and pricing, visit my website at www.jennvanwyk.com or find us on Facebook!

If you have any questions or would just like to chit chat, I'm available at jenn@jennvanwyk.com or 608.335.9213

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nineteen Frames Challenge

As you all know, I love to blog read and another one of my favorite photographers to follow is the Youngrens, a husband/wife team from San Diego. Recently they took a vacation and Jeff happened upon this desert beach resort (insert photographer flip out here), and realized he only had room for 19 pictures on his memory card. You can read more about his adventure here (and add them to your reader/bookmarks while you're there - you'll want to check back often!)


Anyhoo, Jeff posed a challenge to all of us photographers out there to approach a scene and only take 19 pictures... with an extra added challenge of no looking or deleting. In other words, pretend that we were shooting with film and make each frame count.

I will admit that sometimes I do get carried away with digital images - the fact that each picture is "free" and I can snap as many as I want doesn't always make me a better photographer. I know if anything, this challenge and my 365 project have taught me to slow down, observe a scene and take one or two interesting photos of a scene instead of 1,590. Because really, who needs 1,590 pictures of a leaf? :)


I had been keeping my eye out for a scene for a week or so, and was wondering where I was going to go when I happened upon this place last Saturday. I was shooting some photos for one of my groom's bands BOWSER (but more on this later), and they led me to these abandoned buildings in downtown Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin (insert photographer flip out here). I knew it was perfect. Lots of old stuff. Lots of falling apart stuff. Lots of stuff in places that don't make sense.

But I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Here are my 19 photos!

Elkhart Lake
IMG_4394-Edit
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake (4.3.10)
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake
Elkhart Lake

So there you have it! This is a contest among other photographers - so leave me some love so they know who to pick! :)


Also, if you'd like to participate, the contest is open through Monday, so get snapping!

7 comments:

  1. Jenn, I love this!! What an AWESOME location!! I cannot wait to see your BOWSER pictures, but I LOVE the 19 frames idea/the final product!! Woohoo! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Jenn! You have an awesome talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, the one of the prickly thingys (birdocks??) is my fave simply because of that gorgeous teal color behind it. What a catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I definitely got a feel for the story from your 19 frames. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done!- Jenn. I can "see" the story from your pictures.
    Aunt Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! I can definitely feel myself being there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some very nice images. I love the thermometer. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete