Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a portrait and wedding photographer based out of Madison, Wisconsin. Here you will find my latest work and what I've been up to. Please feel free to browse and comment!

For more information and pricing, visit my website at www.jennvanwyk.com or find us on Facebook!

If you have any questions or would just like to chit chat, I'm available at jenn@jennvanwyk.com or 608.335.9213

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Winter at the Zoo

I had had never been to the Zoo in the winter time before, so in preparation for Karen & Erik's engagement shoot this morning I arrived at the zoo a little early to check it out.  I've been there quite a few times in the summer (it really is a spot to see in Madison) and I wasn't sure what I'd find!  When I pulled up I was surprised to see so many cars in the parking lot, as a bunch of families with bundled up kids waddled through the main gates.  It was evident that everyone was out to enjoy the "warmer" weather today - it is amazing what 35 can feel like after all of those below zero days.  And to my surprise a lot of the animals were out too. Like many times when I'm out and about in this city, it just affirms what a great community it is to live in.  And how we all somehow make it through these brutal winters, and can come on out on a cold Saturday morning and enjoy the Zoo together.  It was a beautiful Madisonian moment.  

Alright, enough of the sappy and on to the pictures!  After I was done shooting with Karen and Erik, I stuck around for a little bit and caught some photos of the animals.  

 
I loved these penguins all hanging out by the door, and when I got it off the camera and onto my computer, I just had to put it in black and white because it looked like they were wearing little tuxes.   They just needed some martinis and cigars and they would have looked like I was witnessing the Rat Pack!


In all of the times I've been to the Zoo, I've never been fortunate enough to see the lions.   And boy are they beautiful!  As I was taking these, I was really wishing the fence would be gone so I could REALLY get some good pictures.  But then I remembered, these aren't stuffed animals, they are the King of the Jungle!  In fact when I was walking around with Karen and Erik we could hear them roaring!


He was totally looking at me while I was taking pictures, he must be used to the paparazzi! 

And it was no surprise that the Polar Bears were out!  These guys were swimming and splashing and having a grand old time in the cold!



And now..... a sneak peek!  Here's a sneak peek of one of the many great shots I got of Karen and Erik.  They are such a great couple, I really enjoyed getting to know them this morning.  And brave too!  On the first photo they took their coats off outside and were ready to roll!   This one was taken in the Bird House which felt like a tropical getaway compared to the snow and cold outside.  Stay tuned for more photos from their shoot a little later.


Ta ta for now... gotta go get ready for our Super Bowl party tomorrow.... and if you live in the Madison area... go to the Zoo!  jvw

No comments:

Post a Comment