Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a portrait and wedding photographer based out of Madison, Wisconsin. Here you will find my latest work and what I've been up to. Please feel free to browse and comment!

For more information and pricing, visit my website at www.jennvanwyk.com or find us on Facebook!

If you have any questions or would just like to chit chat, I'm available at jenn@jennvanwyk.com or 608.335.9213

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering

I am distracted today.



I find myself looking out the window, daydreaming, and I am instantly back there.



On September 11th, 2001 I was in Mrs.Tomlinson's Math class watching history unfold. I remember it was a sunny, bright, fall day and we had just gotten started with school. Mrs.Tomlinson was probably wearing a really nice sweatshirt with embrodered apples, books, and worms on it (she had a really nice collection of these, one for every holiday). We were supposed to be diving into class, taking notes, and turning in homework. But it never happened. Instead we were glued to the T.V. We turned it on to see the first tower in smoke. It seemed like an accident. That there must truely be some accidental explanation as to why the plane had crashed. We were shocked but relieved. Then the second plane entered.



Complete shock.



I remember crying.



The rest is a blur from there.



I remember walking around the halls, some proud that we were going to go to war and they wanted to serve. Some were terrified. We learned the tall towers in Chicago and Milwaukee were evacuated. Were we really in danger?



Today we remember.



8 Years later and through the "wonder of technology" I've had a chance to reconnect with those same friends that I walked around the halls with. Now far removed from that world, spread around the country we come together to remember. A simple tribute on facebook, almost a virtual momunment to that day. It is awesome today to look at everyone's status updates and tweets, and see how everyone is coming together in remembering.



September 11th was friegtening. But luckily, we have a God who is even bigger. One who can turn the aweful into something awesome, can turn ashes into beauty. He uses every situation for the good of his people. He definately was not absent on September 11th, 2001. He turned our terror into community, and our previously divided nation together. Yes, we are still divided, but on days like today, we are brought together. There is such great power in that.







This picture was taken and featured earlier on my blog. It was at the Newseum in Washington D.C. when we visited in March. Here's what I had to say:

This is the antenna from the top of one of the World Trade Center Towers, in the Newseum, one of my favorite things I saw in D.C. We had been walking around to all of the other monuments in D.C. with appreciation, but not able to fully understand the significance. However, after walking around this exhibit for a while, it brought back all of the emotions and memories from 9/11, and it was very powerful. It gave me a greater appreciation for the other monuments, and it made me wonder if this is what our generation would be remembered by in D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment