Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a portrait and wedding photographer based out of Madison, Wisconsin. Here you will find my latest work and what I've been up to. Please feel free to browse and comment!

For more information and pricing, visit my website at www.jennvanwyk.com or find us on Facebook!

If you have any questions or would just like to chit chat, I'm available at jenn@jennvanwyk.com or 608.335.9213

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Washington D.C.

I'm baaaaaacccckkkk! We went on a little mini vacation the end of last week into Monday of this week to Washington D.C. My hubby and I had a great time going to all of the monuments, museums, and great restaurants. Although, we must admit, we're getting old! After day two of walking around all day we were completely exhausted. It feels like just yesterday we were on UW's campus walking miles every day and not thinking twice about it! Oh well, we managed to get our old legs a walking.

As I was walking among all of these great landmarks and historic places in our country, I couldn't help but wonder how many times this place has been photographed. It was a little bit intimidating to lift the camera to my eye wondering if I really have a new a creative shot that hasn't been captured before. That didn't stop me though, and I think I got some great shots of some really cool places.

The first night we got there, we went for a walking tour of all of the monuments at night. During the day, the are kind of mundane - grey stone monuments that barley stand out from the sky. But at night, they were awesome!


Bri in front of the Washington Monument
This is part of the World War II Monument. It was striking how many of the monuments used water as an important part.

Hello Mr. Lincoln

This is arguably the most exciting piece of paper in the National Archives. This is the application for a land grant from "Charles P. Ingalls", also known as "Pa" to Laura Ingalls Wilder!




Gotta love the self timer!
This is the antenna from the top of one of the World Trade Center Towers, in the Newseum, one of my favorite things I saw in D.C. We had been walking around to all of the other monuments in D.C. with appreciation, but able to fully understand the significance. However, after walking around this exhibit for a while, it brought back all of the emotions and memories from 9/11, and it was very powerful. It gave me a greater appreciation for the other monuments, and it made me wonder if this is what our generation would be remembered by in D.C.

This is a chunk of the Berlin wall. As you can see this side has a ton of graffiti, however in stark contrast, the other side is completely blank. It was very interesting.


These are just a few of the hundreds of photos I took. I'd recommend going to D.C., it has definitely given me a better appreciation of our country, and being the visual learner that I am, a great history lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment